YAOSC (Yet Another Old School Clone)
Each language is a skill. All characters begin with 3 points in their native tongue (adjusted as usual by Int modifiers). The YAM may change this baseline to 2 or 4 for illiterate or highly-literary cultures in a given game world.
- 0 or below: You have no linguistic capacity whatsoever. You can express and recognize basic emotions conveyed through vocalization or gesture.
- 1: Minimal ability. You recognize your name and a handful of words, and may learn to mimic some phrases.
- 2: Basic conversational ability. You can use simple grammar to express mundane ideas and ask or answer mundane questions.
- 3: Normal ability. You can carry a conversation or listen to a story.
- 4: Literacy. You can read and write, and this has helped you get a solid handle on the language.
- 5+: Artistry. You craft imagery, metaphor, poetry, or rhetoric to bend the hearts of men. You may check your Language skill as if it were a Craft for oratory, composition, and similar works or performances.
- 7+: Mastery. The words of this language are your playthings, tools, and weapons. You may check to decipher codes or archaic texts. The YAM determines the difficulty, how much time is required for a check, and whether any penalties apply.